What Is SEO
In the internet marketing world SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing content to W3 standards so that search engines can discover it, read it, and present it to people that have been looking for your merchandise or services on the internet.
By staying within W3 standards, open graph protocol, and Google guidelines you can rest assured that your websites SEO maintains it’s rankings through search engine algorithm modifications and that it’s effective between all search engines and social profiles.
SEO Is Not Only For Websites!
Imagery, video, docs, and social profiles can be optimized for search.
Optimizing web content can be a time consuming project.
Proper optimization can last 12-16 months, or for local seo in Aberdeen it may take around three to six months.
Pin pointing what it will take to rank your content can be next to impossible. Every city in Mississippi is different. So our suggestion, address what makes sense, give away information, and do it right the first time around.
Here Are Four Links To Help You Optimize Your Website For Search.
• Search Engine Optimization Beginners Document from Google – Resort to this guide for optimizing your sites for the Google search engine. Google SEO PDF
• W3C Standards (W3C) – We suggest you find out more about this grassroots coalition and their standards set here. https://www.w3.org/standards/
• Open Graph Protocol (OGP) – Benefits your SEO efforts greatly, please be sure to read through this as well. http://ogp.me/
• Schema.org – Is a collaborative, community backed activity with a goal to build, maintain, and promote schema for structured data on the web, on web pages, in email correspondences, and beyond. https://schema.org/
How Do I SEO My Website – On Page Optimization.
This is asked a lot, and even though I think there isn’t an absolute answer, I do believe there are some basic formulas to follow. If you haven’t had the time to read the Google PDF file I linked to above, then these pointers should suffice until you do.
Please Note: If you provide a service in Aberdeen then you will want to consider using Aberdeen in your articles and descriptions as they apply to the fundamentals listed below.
PracticalStandard On Page SEO Fundamentals.
• URL Path – Think about the text you will be writing for your web site, now be sure you label the URL topically relevant to the content. The URL string says a lot about a page. If you are optimizing your web site for “good food in Aberdeen” make sure that is found in the page URL string.
• Yoast – Most WordPress users utilize plugins to help optimize their pages. A real popular plugin used as of this article is called Yoast SEO. Yoast SEO installs with some very basic features, however there is some advanced functionality. Getting this installed & activated should allow you to configure your page more thoroughly.
• Links & Anchor Text – Try to build an outbound “nofollow” link to a website that also offers value. I would not build an outbound authority link to another page about the same thing, rather send the link to something somewhat relevant but isn’t in direct competition with the topic you may be attempting to rank your page for. Creating an outbound link to another local Aberdeen business web site will help provide geographic relevance as well.
• H-Tags – If you are using a page builder that gives you the opportunity to create Header Tags then do it. An H-Tag is is a headline, use it to tell your readers what the article is about.
• Page Content – Produce as much valuable content to the end users as you can, see below. This can include graphics, writings, videos, docs, Google maps, links to social profiles, and much more.
• Photos – If you can design quality images to include on your post then do it. Be sure to label your images with topical keywords that fit with the rest of the content. Also be sure to label the pictures according to what they actually are. Do not label a photo of an iPad a modem.
Note: If the photo was taken at a park in Aberdeen then consider labeling it “Aberdeen town park” if that is what the photo is.
• Article – Engage viewers with the content your writing. Be sure that when users land on your page and read your content that it is relevant to the search term they typed to find you. It’s normal to write a minimum of three hundred words, anything above that is a plus. Also, if someone in Aberdeen is searching for your products or services, clarifying that your business is actually in Aberdeen proves to be extremely beneficial to search.
• Videos – In a perfect world your web site would be flowing with quality content. Articles, photos, videos, outbound authority links, Google docs, and anything else beneficial to the topic. You can create nice videos on your ipad and post it to Vimeo. Embedding a one of your videos into your site provides value all across the board. It gives the person that found you another piece of content to engage, and it provides the search engines more unique content to index. Win-win.
How Do I Optimize My Site For Search – Off Page SEO
Off site SEO refers to other pages and the inbound links coming from them. These links are called backlinks. The referring property can be another blog or company site, a social property like Youtube, a citation, or article comment linking back to your property. There are other ways of getting backlinks, but these are common and are typically easy to get.
• Link Outreach – There is a chance you have done business with a business that has a website, or you have an acquaintance or networking associates that have websites. Just reach out to one of these individuals and ask them to post an article about you or your products on the site. My recommendation is that you write it to save them the hassle. Be sure to include a back link and return the favor to them by building a link to their website from yours.
• Social – By setting up social profiles like Instagram, G+, Pinterest, and Reddit you have an opportunity to link out to your web page from the account profile. You can also send links out from a post within these platforms. Lots of ways to send links, just need to get creative.
• Citations – Citations are a legitimate way to create a backlink. Building profiles in directories like Yelp, Google Maps, Yellowpages, or foursquare will allow you the opportunity to not only create a local presence in Aberdeen on those platforms but to also backlink to your site from that profile.
• Social Comments – We have had personal success finding articles on the web that were relevant to my web page and leaving a comment on them with a link back to my site. Don’t be a spammer, search for an topical blog post, comment and engage the online community, then leave a backlink in your comment that refers back to your site. That my friends is a backlink.
In this ever growing world of technology, what is an important variable now may become less effective tomorrow. I believe by following W3 standards, following OGP , and incorporating Schema you will find success optimizing your content for years to come. Short cuts and hacks never last long, loop holes are closed off daily and the search algorithms are only becoming more complex. Take the time to educate yourself, take time to do it the right way and at the end of the day you will find your content to be optimized for years to come.
Tweets by mi_marketing
Aberdeen SEO Services
SEO pricing is strongly based on competition of keywords and location. Before we focus on enhancing your rankings we need to gain a better understanding of the keywords and search volume of the relevant terms in your vertical. This requires us to perform some keyword research before we give you a monthly quote for SEO. Complete the form below to get started with our free keyword research.