What Is SEO
In the internet marketing world SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing content to web standards so that the search engine like Yahoo can find it, read it, and deliver it to web users that are seeking out your products or services offered online.
By referencing W3C standards, OGP, and Google guidelines you can feel confident that your sites SEO lasts through search engine algorithm patches and that it’s effective between all search consoles and social accounts.
Search Engine optimization Is Not Exclusive To Websites!
Graphics, video, Google docs, and social properties can be optimized for search.
Optimizing web properties can be a bit of a chore.
Proper optimization can take twelve to sixteen months, however for local seo in Abingdon it may take around three to six months.
Pin pointing what it will take to rank your URL is almost next to impossible. Every city in Virginia is going to be different. So our suggestion, focus on what makes sense, educate, and make sure you do it right the first time around.
These Are 4 Links To Guide You Through Optimizing Your Properties For Search.
• Search Engine Optimization Reference Guide from Google – Reference this guide for improving your sites for the Google search engine. Google SEO PDF
• Web Standards (W3C) – We suggest you find out more regarding the grassroots coalition and it’s standards set at this link. https://www.w3.org/standards/
• Open Graph Protocol (OGP) – Benefits your Search Engine optimization efforts immensely, please be sure to check this out also. http://ogp.me/
• Schema.org – Is a collaborative, community backed activity with a goal to build, maintain, and promote schema for structured data on the web, on web sites, in email, and beyond. https://schema.org/
How To SEO Your Website – On Site SEO.
This is a common question, and although I think there isn’t an absolute answer, I do think there are some basic rules to follow. If you have not had the time to skim through the Google PDF file I linked to above, then these pointers should help until you can.
Please Note: If you provide a service in Abingdon then you will want to consider using Abingdon in your articles and descriptions as they apply to the fundamentals listed below.
PracticalStandard On Page SEO Fundamentals.
• URL Path – Think about the text you will be adding to your site, now be sure you name the URL path something relevant to the content. The URL string says a lot about a page. If you are optimizing your web page for “good food in Abingdon” make sure that is found in the page URL path.
• Yoast – Most WordPress users activate plugins to further optimize their site. The most popular plugin installed as of this publication is Yoast. The Yoast plugin comes with some basic features, in addition to advanced functionality. Getting the Yoast plugin installed & activated will allow you to configure your page more thoroughly.
• Links And Anchor Text – Be sure to create an outbound “nofollow” link with anchor to a website that also provides value. Do not create an outbound authority link with anchor to another site about the same topic, instead include the link with anchor to to a page that is semi- relevant but not in direct competition with the subject you are trying to rank your web site for. Sending a link to another local Abingdon business web site can help provide location relevance as well.
• H Tags – If you are using a page building tool that allows you to add Header Tags then do it. An H Tag is is a headline, use it to tell your readers what the article will be about.
• Content – Create as much valuable content to your audience as possible, see below. This should include images, articles, motion graphics, PDF files, optimized Google maps, links to social networks, and much more.
• Photos – If you can design your own graphics to include on your web page then do it. Label your images with topical keywords that fit with the rest of the content. Also be sure to label the photos according to what they actually are. Don’t label an image of a phone a monitor.
Note: If the picture was taken at a park in Abingdon then consider labeling it “Abingdon town park” if that is what the picture is.
• Article – Engage viewers with the content your writing. Be sure that when users land on your site and read your content that it is relevant to the search term they used to find you. It’s common practice to write a minimum of 300 words, anything above that is considered a plus. Also, if someone in Abingdon is looking for your products or services, clarifying that your organization is actually in Abingdon proves to be extremely beneficial to search.
• Videos – In an ideal situation your web page would be flowing with content. Words, graphics, videos, outbound links, PDF files, and anything else beneficial to the content. You can create custom videos on your cell phone and post it to Vimeo. Embedding a hosted video provides value for the site and the end user. It gives the viewer another piece of unique content to interact with, and it provides the search engines more unique content to index. This is a win-win.
How To SEO Your Website – Off Site Optimization
Off site SEO refers to other pages and the links coming from those properties. Those links are called backlinks. The referring web property can be another blog or business, a social property like Facebook, a citation, or blog comment linking back to your property. There are other ways of receiving backlinks, but these are common methods and usually easy to obtain.
• Link Outreach – There is a chance you have done business with a company that has a website, or you have friends or networking partners that have personal site. Simply reach out to one of these people and ask them to include an article about you or your business on it. My suggestion is that you write it to save them the hassle. Be sure to give yourself a page and return the favor to them by creating a link to their site from yours.
• Social Platforms – By setting up social properties like Instagram, G+, Youtube, and Reddit you have the option to send no follow links to your web page from the user profile. You can also create links from a post within these properties. Lots of ways to link out, just need to get creative.
• Citations – Citations are a fantastic way to get a backlink. Creating profiles within directories like Yelp, Google Maps, Yellowpages, or foursquare will allow you the opportunity to not only build a local presence in Abingdon on those profiles but to also backlink to your site from that profile.
• User Comments – I have had personal success finding articles on the web that were relevant to my website and commenting on them with a backlink to our webpage. Do not be a spammer, find an interesting blog post, leave a comment and engage with the community, and leave a link in your comment that points back to your site. That is a backlink.
In this ever advancing world of technology, what may be an important variable now may become less effective tomorrow. I believe by staying within W3 standards, following Open Graph Protocol , and incorporating Schema you will find success ranking your content for many years. Loop holes and short cuts never last long, loop holes are closed off daily and the search algorithms are only becoming more advanced. Take the time to learn, take the time to do it right and at the end of the day you will find your content to be optimized for years to come.
Tweets by mi_marketing
Abingdon SEO Services
SEO pricing is strongly based on competition of keywords and location. Before we focus on enhancing your rankings we need to gain a better understanding of the keywords and search volume of the relevant terms in your vertical. This requires us to perform some keyword research before we give you a monthly quote for SEO. Complete the form below to get started with our free keyword research.