What Is SEO
In the digital marketing world SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of efficiently optimizing content to web standards so that the search engines like Bing can discover it, index it, and serve it to web users that may be searching for your products or services offered online.
By following W3C standards, open graph protocol, and Google guidelines you can feel confident that your websites SEO makes it through search engine algorithm version updates and that it’s powerful between all search engines and social accounts.
SEO Isn’t Exclusive To Websites!
Imagery, videos, Google docs, and social profiles can be properly optimized for search engines.
Optimizing web URLS can be a daunting task.
Proper optimization can last 12-16 months, however for local seo in Des Moines it may happen in three to six months.
Pin pointing what it will take to rank your site is almost next to impossible. Every city in Iowa is going to be different. So our recommendation, focus on what makes sense, educate, and make sure you do it right the first time you do it.
These Are Four References To Guide You Through Optimizing Your Site For Search Engines.
• SEO Beginners Guide from Google – Use this document for optimizing your properties for the Google search engine. Google SEO PDF
• Web Standards (W3C) – You can learn more regarding this grassroots coalition and their standards here. https://www.w3.org/standards/
• Open Graph Protocol (OGP) – Will benefit your Search Engine optimization efforts greatly, be sure to refer to this also. http://ogp.me/
• Schema.org – Is a collaborative, community activity with a goal to create, maintain, and promote schema for structured data on the Internet, on web sites, in email messages, and everywhere else applicable. https://schema.org/
How To SEO Your Website – On Page SEO.
This is asked a lot, and although I believe there isn’t a definitive answer, I tend to believe there are clear guidelines to follow. If you didn’t take the time to download that Google PDF file I provided a link to above, then this should be adequate until you do.
Important Note: If you provide a service in Des Moines then you will want to consider using Des Moines in your articles and descriptions as they apply to the fundamentals listed below.
Here Are Some On Site SEO Fundamentals.
• URL Structure – Think about the article you will be adding to your web site, now be sure you name the URL path something relevant to the content. The URL string says a lot about a page. If you are optimizing your web page for “good food in Des Moines” make sure that is found in the page URL.
• Yoast – Most WordPress users utilize plugins to further optimize their site. The most popular plugin installed as of this publication is Yoast SEO. Yoast SEO comes with some standard features, in addition to advanced functionality. Getting the Yoast plugin installed will allow you to configure your site more efficiently.
• Links And Anchor Text – Try to include an outbound “nofollow” link to a page that also provides value. Don’t include an outbound authority link with anchor to another website about the same topic, rather send the link to to a property that’s somewhat relevant but isn’t in direct competition with the topic you are attempting to rank your page for. Creating an outbound link to another local Des Moines business will help provide location relevance as well.
• H Tags – If you are using a website builder that gives you the opportunity to add H Tags then do it. An H-Tag is is a headline, use it to tell your viewers what the article will be about.
• Content – Provide as much useful content to your audience as you can, see the content pointers below. This can include pictures, writings, video, Google docs, optimized Google maps, links to social platforms, and much more.
• Images – If you can make your own pictures to include on your web site then do it. Be sure to label your pictures with relevant keywords that fit with the rest of the content. Also be sure to label the images according to what they actually are. Don’t label an image of an iPad a monitor.
Note: If the image was taken at a park in Des Moines then consider labeling it “Des Moines town park” if that is what the picture is.
• Article – Engage viewers with the content your writing. Make sure that when viewers land on your site and read your content that it is relevant to the search term they typed to find you. It’s normal to write a minimum of 300 words, anything above that is a plus. Also, if someone in Des Moines is looking for your products or services, clarifying that your business is actually in Des Moines proves to be extremely beneficial to search.
• Videos – In an ideal situation your site would be rich with content. Articles, pictures, videos, hyper-links, documents, and anything else beneficial to the content. You can create great videos on your ipad and post it to any social video network. Embedding a one of your videos into your site creates value for the site and the end user. It gives the user another piece of content to interact with, and it gives the search engines more quality content to index. This is a win-win.
How Do I Optimize My Site For Search – Off Site Optimization
Off page SEO refers to other web sites and the links coming from those pages. Those links are called backlinks. The referring web site can be another blog or company site, a social property like Twitter, a citation, or blog comment linking back to your site. There are many other means of receiving referral links, but these are common and usually simple to get.
• Link Outreach – You have probablyI’m sure you have done business with another business that has a website, or you have an acquaintance or networking partners that have sites. Take the time to reach out to anyone of these associates and ask them to post an article about you or your products on there. My recommendation is that you produce it to save them the inconvenience. Be sure to create a back link and return the favor to them by linking to their website from your site.
• Social Properties – By setting up social foundations like Instagram, G+, Pinterest, and Reddit you have the ability to send no follow links to your website from the user profile. You can also link out from a post within these properties. Lots of ways to link, just need to get creative.
• Citations – Citations are a great way to build a backlink. Building profiles within local directories like Yelp, Google Maps, Yellowpages, or foursquare will give you the chance to not only have a local presence in Des Moines on those platforms but to also backlink to your site from that profile.
• Blog Comments – I have experienced personal success finding blogs on the internet that were topical to my page and commenting on them with a backlink to our webpage. Without being a spammer, search for an relevant web page, comment and engage the community, then leave a URL in your comment that links back to your web page. That is a comment link.
In this ever changing world of internet technology, what might be an important factor today may become less relevant tomorrow. We believe by staying within web standards, following OGP , and utilizing Schema you will have success ranking your content for many years. Short cuts and hacks never last, loop holes are cut off every day and the search algorithms are only getting more advanced. Take time to learn, take time to do it right and at the end of the day you will find your pages to be ranking for a long time.
Des Moines SEO Services
Modern Influence Logo
Modern Influence Image
SEO pricing is strongly based on competition of keywords and location. Before we focus on enhancing your rankings we need to gain a better understanding of the keywords and search volume of the relevant terms in your vertical. This requires us to perform some keyword research before we give you a monthly quote for SEO. Complete the form below to get started with our free keyword research.