What Is SEO
In the digital marketing arena SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of efficiently optimizing articles and images to W3C standards so that search engine like Yahoo can find it, analyze it, and serve it to people in need that are seeking out your merchandise or services on the internet.
By staying within W3 standards, open graph protocol, and Google guidelines you can rest assured that your SEO stays healthy through algorithm version updates and that it’s useful across all search consoles and social profiles.
SEO Is Not Only For Your Website!
Graphics, video, Google docs, and social properties can all be properly optimized for search engines.
The process of optimizing internet properties can be a time consuming project.
Proper optimization can last 12-16 months, however for local seo in Richmond it may happen in 3-6 months.
Pin pointing what you need to do to rank your property can be next to impossible. Every city in Virginia is different. So our suggestion, address what is going to help people, provide value, and be sure to do it right the first time around.
Below Are 4 Resources To Guide You Through Optimizing Your Website For Search.
• Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide from Google – Use this document for optimizing your properties for the Google search engine. Google SEO PDF
• W3C Standards (W3C) – You can learn more regarding this grassroots coalition and their standards set at this link. https://www.w3.org/standards/
• Open Graph Protocol (OGP) – Will benefit your SEO strategies greatly, please be sure to reference this as well. http://ogp.me/
• Schema – Is a collaborative, community activity with a goal to create, maintain, and promote schemas for structured data on the web, on web sites, in email messages, and beyond. https://schema.org/
How Do I SEO My Website – On Site SEO.
I get this question a lot, and although I believe there isn’t an absolute answer, I do think there are some basic guidelines to follow. If you have not had the time to skim through the Google PDF document I linked to above, then these pointers should be adequate until you can.
Important Note: If you provide a service in Richmond then you will want to consider using Richmond in your articles and descriptions as they apply to the fundamentals listed below.
PracticalStandard On Page SEO Fundamentals.
• URL – Consider the article you will be writing for your web site, now I recommend you name the URL path something relevant to the article. The URL path says a lot about a page. If you are trying to rank your page for “good food in Richmond” make sure that is found in the page URL path.
• Yoast – Most WordPress users use plugins to help optimize their web pages. The most popular plugin utilized as of this publication is Yoast SEO. The Yoast plugin has some standard features, in addition to advanced functionality. Getting this installed and activated will allow you to seo your web page more efficiently.
• Links/Anchor Text – Try to create an outbound “nofollow” link to a site that also offers value. Do not build an outbound “nofollow” link with anchor to another site about the same service or product, rather include the link with anchor to to a page that is semi- relevant but not in direct competition with the subject you may be trying to rank your web page for. Creating an authority link to another local Richmond company site can help provide location relevance as well.
• Header Tags – If you are using a page builder that allows you to include H-Tags then be sure to do it. An H-Tag is like a headline, use it to tell a reader what the article will be about.
• Content – Produce as much engaging content to your audience as possible, see below. This includes graphics, text, youtube videos, PDF files, optimized maps, outbound links to social platforms, and much more.
• Images – If you can get quality images to embed on your post then do it. Be sure to label your photos with relevant wording that fits with the rest of the content. Also be sure you label the photos according to what they actually are. Don’t label a graphic of an iPad a monitor.
Note: If the photo was taken at a park in Richmond then consider labeling it “Richmond town park” if that is what the photo is.
• Article – Provide value with the content your creating. Make sure that when viewers land on your site and read what you have written that it is relevant to the search term they used to find you. It’s recommended that you write a minimum of 300 words, anything above and beyond is considered a plus. Also, if someone in Richmond is searching for your products or services, clarifying that your company is actually in Richmond proves to be extremely beneficial to search.
• Videos – In an ideal situation your site would be rich with quality content. Text, images, videos, internal links, docs, and anything else relevant to the content. You can create a simple video on your ipad and post it to Youtube. Embedding a video creates value for you and your viewers. It gives the viewer another piece of quality content to consume, and it provides the search engines more original content to index. This is a win-win.
How Do I SEO My Site For Search – Off Site SEO
Off page SEO refers to other properties and the referral links coming from those sites. These links are called backlinks. The referring site can be another blog or business website, a social property like Instagram, a citation, or social comment linking back to your site. There are many other means of receiving authority backlinks, but these are common methods and usually simple to obtain.
• Link Outreach – There is a chance you have done business with someone else that has a site, or you have friends or networking connections that have a business site. Just reach out to one of these associates and ask them to feature an article about you or your services on there. My recommendation is that you produce it to save them the time. Be sure to include a page and return the favor to them by building a link to their website from your property.
• Social Media – By setting up social profiles like Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and Flickr you have the ability to send links to your web page from the user profile. You can also link out from a post within these properties. Lots of ways to link, just need to get creative.
• Citations – Citations are a great way to get a link. Setting up business profiles in local directories like Yelp, Google Maps, Yellowpages, or foursquare will give you the opportunity to not only have a local presence in Richmond on those platforms but to also send links back to your web page from that property.
• Comments – We have experienced personal success locating articles on the internet that were relevant to my web page and leaving a comment on them with a link back to my site. Don’t be a spammer, find an topical web page, leave a comment and engage the community, and leave a URL in your comment that links back to your website. That my friends is a backlink.
In this ever advancing world of internet technology, what might be an important variable today might become even less effective tomorrow. We believe by sticking to web standards, following Open Graph Protocol , and incorporating Schema you will find success ranking your content for many years. Hacks and loop holes never seem to last, loop holes are closed off every day and the search algorithms are only getting more complex. Take time to learn, take the time to do it right and in the end you will find your content to be optimized for a long time.
Richmond SEO Services
Modern Influence Logo
Modern Influence Image
SEO pricing is strongly based on competition of keywords and location. Before we focus on enhancing your rankings we need to gain a better understanding of the keywords and search volume of the relevant terms in your vertical. This requires us to perform some keyword research before we give you a monthly quote for SEO. Complete the form below to get started with our free keyword research.