Jump to – In this article:
What Is SEO
In the digital marketing arena SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
SEO is the process of optimizing content to W3C standards so that search engines can locate it, process it, and deliver it to people that may be seeking out your products or services offered on the internet.
By staying within web standards, open graph protocol, and Google best practices you can feel confident that your sites SEO lasts through algorithm modifications and that it’s effective between all search consoles and social media platforms.
Search Engine optimization Isn’t Exclusive To Your Website!
Graphics, video, documents, and social profiles can be properly optimized for search.
Optimizing internet content can be a bit of a chore.
Proper optimization could last 12-16 months, or for local seo in San Francisco it could take around 3-6 months.
According to Hari Menon SEO, ”Identifying what you need to do to rank your URL can be next to impossible.” Every city in California is going to be different. So our recommendation, pay attention to what makes sense, educate, and do it right the first time.
Here Are 4 References To Help You Optimize Your Website For Search Engines.
• Search Engine Optimization Reference Guide from Google – Reference this document for improving your properties for the Google search engine. Google SEO PDF
• Web Standards (W3C) – We suggest you find out more about the grassroots coalition and their standards set here. https://www.w3.org/standards/
• Open Graph Protocol (OGP) – Benefits your Search Engine optimization efforts immensely, be sure to refer to this as well. http://ogp.me/
• Schema – Is a collaborative, community backed activity with a mission to create, maintain, and promote schema for structured data on the web, on web sites, in email correspondences, and everywhere else applicable. https://schema.org/
How Do I SEO My Website – On Site Optimization.
I get this question a lot, and even though I think there isn’t a definitive answer, I do believe there are some basic guidelines to follow. If you didn’t take the time to reference that Google PDF document I provided a link to above, then this should be adequate until you can.
Important Note: If you provide a service in San Francisco then you will want to consider using San Francisco in your articles and descriptions as they apply to the fundamentals listed below.
PracticalStandard On Site SEO Fundamentals.
• URL Structure – Consider the content you will be adding to your web page, now be sure you name the URL string topically relevant to the content. The URL string says a lot about a page. If you are optimizing your web site for “good food in San Francisco” make sure that is found in the page URL.
• Yoast – Almost all WordPress users rely on plugins to help optimize their sites. A real popular plugin utilized as of this article is Yoast SEO. Yoast installs with some standard features, however there is some advanced functionality. Getting this installed and activated will allow you to optimize your page more efficiently.
• Links & Anchor Text – Be sure to build an outbound “nofollow” link with anchor to a page that also offers value to the reader. Don’t build an outbound link with anchor to another page about the same service or product, instead send the link with anchor to something semi- relevant but not in direct competition with the subject you are attempting to rank your site for. Building an outbound link to another local San Francisco company site can help provide location relevance as well.
• H Tags – If you are using a website building tool that gives you the opportunity to include Header Tags then be sure to do it. An H-Tag is is the header of your article, use it to tell your readers what the page will be about.
• Page Content – Include as much useful content to the user as possible, see the content pointers below. This should include pictures, writings, video, documents, optimized maps, links to social platforms, and much more.
• Photos – If you can design your own images to include on your site then do it. Label your pictures with topical keywords that fit with the rest of the content. Also be sure to label the pictures according to what they actually are. Don’t label a photo of a phone a monitor.
Note: If the graphic was taken at a park in San Francisco then consider labeling it “San Francisco town park” if that is what the photo is.
• Article – Provide value with the content your writing. Be sure that when viewers land on your page and read your content that it’s relevant to the search wordsthey used to find you. It’s recommended that you write a minimum of three hundred words, anything above that is considered a plus. Also, if someone in San Francisco is looking for your services, clarifying that your company is actually in San Francisco proves to be extremely beneficial to search.
• Videos – In a perfect world your web site would be rich with quality content. Articles, photos, videos, outbound authority links, word docs, and anything else relevant to the topic. You can create simple videos on your mobile device and post it to Youtube. Embedding a hosted video creates value for you and your viewers. It gives the person that found you another piece of content to engage, and it gives the search engines more original content to index. This is a win-win.
How To SEO Your Website – Off Page SEO
Off page SEO refers to other pages and the inbound links coming from them. Those links are called backlinks. The referring web property can be another blog or company site, a social property like Youtube, a citation, or social comment linking back to you. There are many other ways of getting authority backlinks, but these are common and usually simple to obtain.
• Link Outreach – There is a chance you have done business with someone else that has a site, or you have friends or networking partners that have personal site. Simply reach out to anyone of these people and ask them to feature an article about you or your products on there. My recommendation is that you create it to save them the time. Be sure to include a link back and return the favor to them by building a link to their site from your property.
• Social Networks – By setting up social properties like Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Reddit you have the option to send links to your web page from the account profile. You can also link out from a post within these platforms. Lots of ways to link, just need to get creative.
• Citations – Citations are a legitimate way to get a link. Setting up business profiles in local directories like Yelp, Google Maps, Yellowpages, or foursquare will provide you with the opportunity to not only have a local presence in San Francisco on those profiles but to also backlink to your page from that property.
• Comments – We have experienced personal success finding sites on the web that were relevant to my website and commenting on them with a backlink to our webpage. Don’t be a spammer, locate an interesting blog post, comment and engage with the community, then leave a signature in your comment that points back to your web page. That is a comment link.
In this ever growing world of internet technology, what is an important variable now could become less effective in the future. We believe by staying within W3 standards, following Open Graph Protocol , and utilizing Schema you will find success optimizing your content for many years. Loop holes and short cuts never seem to last, loop holes are closed off every day and the algorithms are only becoming more advanced. Take time to educate yourself, take the time to do it the right way and at the end of the day you will find your properties to be ranking for years to come. Reach out to our partners at AdInfusion if you have any questions.
Tweets by mi_marketing
San Francisco SEO Services
SEO pricing is strongly based on competition of keywords and location. Before we focus on enhancing your rankings we need to gain a better understanding of the keywords and search volume of the relevant terms in your vertical. This requires us to perform some keyword research before we give you a monthly quote for SEO. Complete the form below to get started with our free keyword research.